The Effect of Neodymium: Yttrium Aluminum Garnet Laser Capsulotomy on Visual Acuity and Contrast Sensitivity in Patients with Posterior Capsular Opacity in a Tertiary Care Hospital


  • Sushma H K District Hospital
  • Ramya M Chikkballapur Institute of Medical Sciences
  • Sathyendranath Shetty MS Ramaiah Medical College



рosterior capsular opacification , Nd-YAG сapsulotomy, contrast sensitivity, best corrected visual acuity , small incision cataract surgery , posterior chamber intraocular lens


Purpose. This study was conducted to compare the improvement in visual acuity and contrast sensitivity before and after neodymium yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd-YAG) capsulotomy in patients with posterior capsular opacity.

Materials and Methods. A prospective study of 72 eyes of 60 patients with posterior capsular opacity (PCO) was conducted in the Department of Ophthalmology after approval from the institutional ethical committee of M S Ramaiah Medical college. A complete ophthalmological examination, including a detailed history, best corrected visual acuity using Snellens chart, and contrast sensitivity (before and after Nd- YAG capsulotomy) using Pelli Robson chart, slit lamp examination, IOP measurement, and fundus examination were performed after obtaining informed consent adherence to the tenets of Declaration of Helkinski .

Results. The study comprised 60 patients, age groups ranging from 50 to 96 years, with the mean age of patients in our study being 65.943±8.83 years. BCVA of 62 eyes (86.2%) was between 6/18 and 6/60. After Nd YAG capsulotomy, patients showed great improvement in vision, with 63 eyes (87.5%) having improved BCVA of better than 6/12, and 24 eyes (33.3%) showing BCVA of 6/6 (p < 0.001). The contrast sensitivity of 69 eyes (95.83% ) was between 0 and 1.65 log units, followed by 3 eyes(4.17%) between 1.80 and 1.95 log units. After Nd-YAG capsulotomy, contrast sensitivity of 61 eyes (84.72%) improved to 1.80 – 2.25 log units, whereas the remaining 11 eyes (15.28%) showed contrast sensitivity of 1.20 – 1.65 log units (p < 0.001)

Conclusion. Nd-YAG capsulotomy is an effective and relatively safe procedure for the management of posterior capsular opacity. It significantly improves both visual acuity and contrast sensitivity, thereby improving the quality of vision.


Spalton DJ. Posterior capsular opacification after cataract surgery. Eye. 1999;13:489-492.

Bertelmann E, Kojetinsky C. Posterior capsule opacification and anterior capsule opacification. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2001;12:35-40.

Pande MV, Ursell PG, Spalton DJ, Heath G, Kundaiker S. High-resolution digital retroillumination imaging of the posterior lens capsule after cataract surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg. 1997 Dec;23(10):1521-7.

Schaumberg DA, Dana MR, Christen WG, Glynn RJ. A systematic overview of the incidence of posterior capsule opacification. Ophthalmology. 1998 Jul;105(7):1213-21.

Das N, Shams A, Khan B, Kumar J, Nasir S, Bhatti NM. Effects of Neodymium-Doped Yttrium Aluminium Garnet (Nd:YAG) Laser Capsulotomy on Visual Outcomes From a Lower-Middle Income Country. Cureus. 2021 Sep 11;13(9):e17895.

Joshi Rajesh S; Doble Pallavi. The complication rate following Neodymium-doped Yttrium Aluminum Garnet laser posterior capsulotomy for posterior capsular opacification in patients with and without comorbidities. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 71(3):p 791-796, March 2023.

Takkar B, Chandra P, Temkar S, Singh AK, Bhatia I. Predictors of Successful Laser Capsulotomy for Significant Posterior Capsule Opacification after Phacoemulsification. J Ophthalmic Vis Res. 2017 Apr-Jun;12(2):170-174. doi: 10.4103/jovr.jovr_244_15.

Sahu P, Mishra AK. Safety and efficacy of Nd:YAG laser capsulotomy in management of posterior capsular opacification. Int J Adv Med 2019;6:76-80.

Wakamatsu, Tais Hitomi MD; Yamaguchi, et al. Functional visual acuity after neodymium:YAG laser capsulotomy in patients with posterior capsule opacification and good visual acuity preoperatively. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 37(2):p 258-264, February 2011.

Yotsukura Erisa, Torii, Hidemasa, Saiki Megumi, Negishi Kazuno, Tsubota Kazuo. Effect of neodymium:YAG laser capsulotomy on visual function in patients with posterior capsule opacification and good visual acuity. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 42(3):p 399-404, March 2016.



How to Cite

H K S, M R, Shetty S. The Effect of Neodymium: Yttrium Aluminum Garnet Laser Capsulotomy on Visual Acuity and Contrast Sensitivity in Patients with Posterior Capsular Opacity in a Tertiary Care Hospital. J.ophthalmol. (Ukraine) [Internet]. 2024 Jul. 2 [cited 2024 Jul. 18];(3):24-7. Available from:



Clinical Ophthalmology